Prevent Decay And Cavities From Harming Your Smile.248-972-8720
Enjoy The Healthiest Smile With Preventive Dentistry
At Newingham Dental Center, your long-term oral health is our top priority. To prevent cavities, decay, and other dental problems, we create long-term preventive dentistry plans for you and your family.Dr. Newingham Talks About Preventative Dentristy Read Transcript
Dentistry historically has been what we call a reparative model. We wait until the disease process starts and then we react to it. You got a hole in your tooth? We can fill that hole. You’ve got a missing part of your tooth. Let’s fix that missing part. That’s waiting for the disease process to take place, and then we react to it. We need to move more towards what we call a health model where we’re trying to predict that patient’s disease before they’ve even expressed that they are susceptible to it. When we can meet a patient for the first time and go through their medical history and their dental history, and gather a of our data that we do during that first appointment, we spend more time with them in that first appointment. We spend more time than we would spend in a typical, routine checkup and cleaning, because we want to know where they’re at. We want to try to predict disease before it presents itself, which subsequently can enable us to perform a more predictable treatment with a better long-term outcome so that we can reduce people’s dental needs moving forward.
Dr. Newingham will work with you individually to ensure your oral health while taking the following into consideration:
- Your schedule, which includes providing swift yet fully effective treatments while you’re in our office
- Your diet, which may need to be altered to better benefit your oral and overall health
- Your mouth’s current condition and planning ahead if there seems to be any issue on the horizon
Call 248-972-8720 to schedule a preventive dentistry appointment at our Birmingham, MI dentist office today!
Preventing Cavities And Decay From Harming Your Smile
During your regular dental exams and dental cleanings, our staff will monitor and evaluate the health of your teeth, gums, and mouth. We use digital X-rays to capture the most informative images of your mouth. Digital X-rays are also much safer than traditional X-rays, reducing your potential exposure to radiation by 90 percent. If we notice any changes in your oral health, we will immediately identify the problem and discuss the issue with you.
Based on your individualized plan and changes we notice at your regular checkup, we may offer the following preventive dentistry treatments and methods:
- CariFree decay-fighting products for adults and children
- Mouthguards for TMJ pain management or sleep apnea
- Fluoride treatments to prevent damage from tooth decay
- Sealants to protect your teeth from decay
- Saliva diagnostics if we detect early periodontal disease
- DIAGNOdent laser cavity detection device to catch cavities early
- Intraoral camera so you can see your mouth on screen
- VELscope oral cancer detection using fluorescence
Protecting Your Oral Health With Dental Cleanings
To help you prevent dental decay and other problems, we recommend that you schedule dental cleanings with us at least twice a year.
We use ultrasonic technology to painlessly and thoroughly remove tartar and plaque from your teeth that you won’t be able to remove by brushing at home.
Our staff will also look for signs of gum disease. If you have gum disease, we offer many preventive dentistry solutions and treat this potentially dangerous problem.