- August 8, 2016
When you think about straightening your teeth, you probably think about metal brackets and wires. Or maybe you had orthodontic treatments when you were younger and remember the experience all too well. Braces can do wonderful things for people, but orthodontic procedures have changed for the better.
Amazingly, a lot of patients are not aware of the other ways to repair their teeth. We want you to have the best information possible so you can make decision on how to repair your mouth. Today I want to compare two orthodontic treatments: traditional braces and Invisalign. Our office is an Invisalign provider, and we consult many patients about how to straighten their teeth.
1. Invisalign is removable. This is perhaps the biggest advantage of Invisalign over traditional braces. Having braces fixed to your teeth can feel like a prison sentence. It can be a helpless feeling and you have a list of food restrictions. With Invisalign, you can remove the aligners from your mouth and eat whatever you want. You also don’t have to clean around brackets on your teeth. That being said, it’s important to wear your aligners for at least 22 hours a day to achieve optimal results.
2. Invisalign is not a comprehensive orthodontic treatment. Invisalign is a great tool for treating mildly crooked teeth or gaps in teeth, but it’s not a comprehensive orthodontic systemic. For patients with severe alignment issues or bite issues, braces are the ideal treatment. But that’s the thing, not every patient with crooked teeth needs comprehensive orthodontics. We’ve found that many teens and adults are candidates for Invisalign treatment. Invisalign also takes less time than traditional braces. An average Invisalign case takes about 9 to 18 months, whereas treatment with traditional braces takes two years or longer.
3. Invisalign are virtually invisible. One of the biggest complaints about orthodontic treatments is the sight. Some children don’t mind the look of braces, but most teenagers and adults don’t want metal brackets and wires on their teeth. Metal draws attention and sometimes pushes the patient into conversations they don’t want to have. Invisalign is virtually invisible. So you don’t have to worry about answering questions like, “When are you getting your braces off?” or “How long do you have to those?” In fact, some of my Invisalign patients tell me that even their closest relatives had no idea they were undergoing orthodontic treatment.
4. Invisalign has a 96 percent satisfaction rate. This is a great satisfaction rate to have for any dental procedure. One of the reasons people are so pleased with their treatment is that they can smile with confidence during their treatments. And of course, people wouldn’t be satisfied if the treatment did not meet their smile goals.
5. Braces and Invisalign cost the same. Some patients believe that Invisalign is much more expensive treatment compared with traditional braces. Not true. The treatments cost about the same.
Invisalign is a treatment that can fit into your budget and your lifestyle. We’re happy to give you a comprehensive Invisalign consultation when you call our office at 248-972-8720.