- July 8, 2016
There are millions of Americans who struggle with crooked teeth or gapped teeth. Some of us have never had orthodontic treatment, while others have seen their teeth shift overtime. Whatever the case, most of us don’t relish the idea of orthodontic work.
Orthodontic treatment is long, painful and can expensive, right? Well, a few years ago, I would have to agree on most of these points, but now we have comfortable and affordable ways to restore your smile. You can even correct crooked teeth without any metal brackets or wires.
Invisalign is a revolutionary orthodontic treatment that more and more Americans are turning to. This treatment uses clear plastic aligners that gradually move teeth into a more appropriate position. Perhaps the best part of treatment is that you can remove the aligners for eating and cleaning. That’s a luxury you do not have with any mainstream orthodontic treatments, like traditional braces or even short-term cosmetic braces.
Invisalign can transform your smile without anyone even knowing that you’re undergoing treatment. Here are some fun facts you need to consider with Invisalign:
1. No metal or fixed brackets. No metal or fixed brackets means several things. For one, no obstructions on your teeth make it easier to clean your teeth. Secondly, you don’t have to worry about painful wire tightens or cutting your gums and cheeks on metal. With Invisalign, there is nothing fixed to your teeth. The aligners are removable, which allows you to eat whatever you want and easily clean your teeth.
2. Invisalign is virtually invisible. Not many people want others to know about their dental procedures. Invisalign allows you to keep your orthodontic treatment discrete. That’s something you cannot do with metal braces. They stick out like a sore thumb and prompt conversations some people would rather not have. My adults patients, who already who rather forego dental treatment, don’t want to answer questions like, “What’s it like having braces?” or “When do you get your braces off?”
3. Invisalign is not for everybody. Invisalign can correct small imperfections like crooked teeth or gapped teeth, but it’s not a comprehensive orthodontic service. Patients with crowning teeth or severe bite issues will likely need traditional braces to correct their problems.
4. You’ll spend less time on your treatment. Invisalign is faster than traditional braces and often more affordable. We plan out every stage of your treatment during your consultation, and then you’ll change out your aligners about once every two weeks. You don’t have to visit the office for wire tightenings, and the treatment generally takes between 9 and 18 months. Conventional metal braces typically takes two years or longer.
5. You have the power. Unlike conventional braces, you have the power with Invisalign. That’s a huge responsibility, and it’s important to follow our guidelines so you can see optimal results and maintain our treatment timeline. While you can remove the aligners for eating and cleaning, we ask Invisalign users to wear the trays for 22 hours a day.
We hope these facts about Invisalign can help you when planning out your orthodontic treatment. There is so much more we’d love to speak with you about. So, if you’re ready to start your Invisalign journey, call our office today 248-972-8720 to schedule your first visit.